On almost a weekly basis, I am asked how I have so much time and money to travel as frequently as I do.
In all honesty, I do not spend a massive amount of money traveling, and although I am currently a full-time graduate student and holding down a couple of part-time jobs, I have been able to travel frequently because I am in the education field, which means that I have quite a number of days off during the year when the kids are out of school. Additionally, the part-time jobs that I currently have allow me the flexibility to travel on my own schedule.
Although most of my trips tend to be 5 days or more, I have taken an occasional long-weekend trip from New York to cities like Austin, Texas, New Orleans, Louisiana, and Syracuse, New York. Sometimes, I even enjoy doing staycations right in New York City, where I take a day or two to play tourist in my town and rediscover my city.
My current situation is quite unique, and I realize that most people do not work in education, do not have jobs where they can be flexible with the time that they take off, or simply have obligations that do not allow them to travel for extended periods of time, which means that short weekend getaways or mini-vacations are the only options that the majority of people have.
This weekend getaways list below was created by travel bloggers around the world for people who are only able to travel part-time. It provides suggestions and inspiration for taking enjoyable trips within a short time frame.
- Puerto Galera: Mark and Camille of 365 Travel Dates share their weekend getaway adventure to Coco Beach Island Resort in Puerto Galera in the Philipiines.
Australia: New South Wales
- Sydney: Jen of The Trusted Traveller shares her tips for Long Weekend Travel: 5 Easy Trips from Sydney
Canada: British Columbia
- Vancouver: Helen from Not Without My Passport shares her tips on what to do with 48 Hours in Vancouver, BC.
- Heidelberg: Menorca of Europe Diaries wrote a guest post on Norway to Nowhere with tips in a Weekend Getaway: A Guide to Heidelberg, Germany
- Mykonos: Nadeen of The Sophisticated Life wrote a detailed post on things to do and see during 48 Hours in Mykonos.
- Budapest: Amanda of A Dangerous Business shares her tips on how to spend 48 Hours in Budapest.
- London: Jen of The Trusted Traveller shares her tips to Get Out of Town: 5 Easy Trips from London and if you plan to travel into the city, Nadeen of The Sophisticated Life shares her tips on what to do during 24 Hours in London.
USA: The Midwest
- Cincinnati, Ohio: Christina of My View from the Middle Seat shares her adventure of 48 Hours Eating Our Way Through Cincinnati.
USA: The Northeast
- Great Barrington, Massachusetts: Linda of Tripping Blonde wrote an excellent post on Great Barrington, MA: A Winter Weekend Getaway to the Berkshires.
- Niagara Falls, New York: Amanda of A Dangerous Business shares her tips on how to do A Weekend Getaway to Niagara Falls.
USA: The Northwest
- Portland, Oregon: Ashley and Alex of In Pursuit of Adventure share their tips on 48 Hours of Eating Our Way Through Portland.
- Seattle, Washington: Domonique of The Simple Proof shares her guide on what to do during 2 Days in Seattle
USA: The Southeast
- Charleston, South Carolina: Ashley from Mommy Week shares 5 Reasons she and her family love Charleston, South Carolina.
- Chattanooga, Tennessee: Ashley from Mommy Week shares her tips for enjoying a fabulous weekend with her family at The Chattanoogan Hotel in Chattanooga, Tennessee
- Lafayette, Louisiana: Apryl of Southern Hospitality Magazine shares her recommendations in the article 10 Reasons to Visit Lafayette, Louisiana
- Lake Charles, Louisiana: Apryl of Southern Hospitality Magazine shares her tips for the perfect Weekend Getaway to Lake Charles, Louisiana.
- Nashville, Tennessee: Ashley and Alex of In Pursuit of Adventure share their tips on what to do during 12 Hours in Nashville: A City Guide to Rock Nashville in Just One Night.
- Richmond, Virginia: Christina of My View from the Middle Seat shares her adventure exploring Richmond, Virginia: 48 Hours in the Southern Capital.
USA: The Southwest
- La Jolla Shores, California: Megan of Traveling Nine to Fiver writes about her experience during a Weekend in La Jolla Shores.
- Manhattan Beach, California: Megan of Traveling Nine to Fiver writes about how to do An Easy Weekend Getaway in Manhattan Beach.
- Napa Valley, California: Domonique of The Simple Proof shares her guide on what to do during 2 Days in Napa Valley
- Grapevine, Texas: Mary of Calculated Traveller shares her experience painting with wine during a getaway to Grapevine, Texas
Want to read more? Make sure to check out the previous Jetsetter Roundups featuring articles from travel bloggers around the world!
Such a great roundup of weekend getaway ideas! I will definitely use this as a resource for future travel!
Thanks Nadeen for being a part of this month’s roundup 😀
Absolutely love this list! And thanks for including my posts.
Thanks Megan and thank you for participating this month!
Thanks for compiling such a great list for jetsetters. Snd yes, Staycations are a must 🙂
You’re welcome Danyelle! Staycations are wonderful too for rediscovering your own city!
I love this fantastic list of getaways! I am going to be checking out several of these options.
That’s great Michelle! Have an amazing time 😀
What a terrific – and inspiring – list! You are lucky to have the flexible schedule and smart to take advantage of it! It’s amazing how much fun and food you can pack into a weekend getaway!
Thank you Mo! I love taking short trips that are productive (especially when I get to try a number of new foods).
Doing one-day trips on the weekend is a great idea 😀 I cannot wait to get to Australia one day to visit the places you recommended.
Nice round-up of weekend getaways. I spent most of my life in the L.A. area. There are tons of places to go for a weekend trip from there. Now in Singapore, almost every trip requires a flight, but we make short trips happen by combining public holidays with 1 and 2 days of vacation time spread out throughout the year. I am looking for hotel deals now to do a staycation in Singapore for Chinese New Year.
I will be back in LA in the spring (2016) and I am looking forward to making a day trip (or two!)
Part-time traveling is great Lauren – I have yet to attend any major outdoor music festivals, but I would love to in the near future! 😀